Trixbox, formerly [email protected] doesn’t get a lot of credit, mainly because of it’s former name. Don’t be fooled by how easy it is to install and configure, Trixbox is a fully-functional PBX. In fact, probably 70-80% of people looking for an IP PBX need not look further than using Trixbox. Trixbox would be ideal for SOHO/SME’s looking to venture into IP telephony.
This very comprehensive software package includes:
- Asterisk Open Source PBX – This is basically the CORE of the product and what makes it a PBX.
- CentOS Linux – A very good and secure Linux ‘flavor’
- FreePBX – formerly called “Asterisk Management Portal or AMP”, this is a web based application for configuring the system. Fairly easy to use and understand, and quite powerful.
- Flash Operator Panel – Nice monitoring tool to view realtime operation of your PBX.
- AstBilling – Pre-paid calling card management software built for Asterisk.
- SugarCRM – Open source version of a very good CRM application with native integration with Asterisk.
- And more!
If you want to join the Asterisk bandwagon, and don’t know where to start, I strongly recommend starting with TrixBox. And I’m betting you won’t need anything else but this software package.